ASK AN ATTORNEY
What is a Flat Fee and When is it Available?
Attorney’s fees for most divorce cases cannot be estimated with any reasonable certainty because of the different issues involved, and therefore, are billed on an hourly basis. There are, however, certain uncontested divorce cases where a flat fee is available and makes sense for the client.
The McConnell Family Law Group offers a flat fee for divorce cases where the parties have an agreement on the important issues but would like representation to better navigate through the divorce process and make sure their interests are properly protected. It is a good option when the parties are able to communicate and compromise with each other without court involvement.
Importantly, you will be guided through the process by an experienced, knowledgeable, and compassionate attorney.
If your case meets the requirements, we will represent you from the start of your case to the conclusion of your divorce for a one-time flat fee. Our flat-fee representation includes: preparation and filing of all necessary pleadings and documents; Mandatory Discovery; assistance with your court-mandated Financial Affidavit; and, the drafting of your Separation Agreement. We will also appear with you in court for your final uncontested divorce hearing. Other than the final uncontested hearing, the flat fee does not cover any court appearances or litigation, which if required, will be billed at hourly rates.
- Sometimes when a divorce is uncontested, parties are tempted to represent themselves rather than hiring an attorney. However, our flat fee representation has been a good alternative for those clients because it offers the following advantages:
- The client knows the exact fee at the beginning of the case and doesn’t have to worry about the uncertainty that comes from an unpredictable hourly fee. We make you a promise about your fee and we live up to that promise.
- The client does not have to concern himself/herself with preparing the required documents or meeting procedural deadlines.
- The case moves quickly and efficiently.
- We assist you in preparing a comprehensive Settlement Agreement, protecting your interests and decreasing the likelihood that you will have to return to court in the future for Post-Judgment issues.
 Most family law cases resolve without a trial; however, in the context of the “flat fee” option we are referring to “uncontested cases” where both parties want to dissolve their marriage, agree on most issues, believe the case can be resolved on their own, but would still like an attorney to help navigate the system.
From our Customers
5 Star Reviews Around the Web
Google - Hartford
Google - New Canaan